Artesia — water and oil wells

Artesia City Hall. Photo by Phyllis Eileen Banks In 1903 when artesian wells were discovered, the town known as Stegman was renamed Artesia. Water spouted as high as twenty feet. Early settlers were attracted to this plentiful water supply and established an agricultural and farming community. Unfortunately the wells were allowed to flow unchecked and the water table dropped. Now, however, in this city of 12,000, the water supply is continually replenished with runoff from the Sacramento Mountains about 90 […] Read more »